While in California for this Golden Lady Bug Estate wedding, I spent a few extra days in the Newport Beach area. I set aside a few days to do some sessions and enjoy my time exploring California.
Lindsey is one of my best girlfriends from college at New Mexico State. She was my roommate freshman year of college. Neither of us knew each other going into college, but we turned into immediate friends. We both joined the same sorority too and got to spend our college years together. Lindsey was a bridesmaid in Megan’s California wedding (we’re all sorority sisters), and ended up staying a few extra days in California too with her boyfriend Stephen.
I ended up staying with Lindsey and Stephen in an awesome Airbnb about 200 meters from Newport Beach. We were so close that we could see the sand on the beach and the ocean from the windows of our Airbnb. Our first evening at our Airbnb we took a short walk out to the beach for these fun sunset photos.
To have a successful beach session here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Choose a beach that isn’t super busy or crowded. Doing a photo session in the eye of the public can feel weird for your every day couple, so try to find a spot where you get a private feel.
- It’s okay to feel nervous and awkward. Most couples start their session feeling that way, but it’s my job to help you loosen up and focus on each other.
- Wear clothes and shoes with the beach in mind. 99% of the time you won’t be wearing shoes on the beach. You also want to choose outfits that you feel both comfortable and confident in.
- Are you willing and wanting to have photos in the water? This is something to discuss for both the couple and photographer to have thought about.
- Be mindful of when sunset happens and what the tide situation is like.